Wednesday, January 23, 2013

STRENGTH - Week 10

I did it, I survived the first of the two phases that the Hanson's plan is built on. SPEED is done! Now I can put away the long nights on the track running at 5:20 mile pace and focus on workouts that are done at paces much closer (10 sec/mile under) to race pace but are twice as long; STRENGTH.

This week started off with MLK Day, which allowed me to relax throughout most of the day before heading to the track for an afternoon workout on the day that I began the Strength phase. This workout was one that I had been worried about since day 1...

Track Workout:
6 x 1-mile @ 5:50 pace w/400m jog (~2:20) recovery
conditions: ~50 degrees, sunny, moderate winds
5:51, 5:49, 5:50, 5:49, 5:48, 5:53
avg: 5:50 mile pace

This workout was a HUGE surprise to me, because it was my first time doing miles on the track at an easier pace since beginning this program and I felt amazing. I wasn't breathing hard and felt very little fatigue. Running this pace on the track just felt smooth. 

Tuesday, as normal, was my day off before heading into week 10's tempo run. I did the tempo tonight on the gravel Highline Canal path again and it went like this:

Tempo Run: 8-miles @ 6:06 pace
6:00 6:03, 6:00, 6:02, 6:06, 6:06, 6:10, 6:11
avg: ~6:04.75 min/mile pace

I was bummed that I fell off so much in the last two miles, but given that my legs were a bit tired going into the workout and that I made a terrible choice for lunch today (Chik-fil-a), I was okay with the results. With the start of the Strength phase, I've been thinking to begin doing all of my workouts at the paces suggested for my goal race time (2:37), rather than using the paces for the adjusted finish time (2:40) due to altitude. That said, I was shooting to keep my times as close to 6:00 pace as possible tonight, but it wasn't possible. 

I'm looking forward to some recovery tonight and a few days of easy mileage to end out the week in the mid-50 mile range. Thanks for taking the time to read. I'm glad to have the Blog caught back up now. Happy Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment