Monday, January 28, 2013

Soreness, Snow and Strength...

As I wrapped up week 10 of training, it was the first time in this training plan that I have felt truly beat up. Ever since the tempo run last Wednesday night,  my legs were achy & sore and I was having minor issues with pains in one of my knees, a foot and sciatic issues. I hoped that if I just recovered properly and took my easy runs 'easy', I'd get through it and be fine for the remaining weeks. That said, the remainder of the week was made up of just easy running... 8 miles Thursday, 8 miles Friday, 13.5 miles Saturday and 6.25-miles on Sunday to end the week at just under 60 miles.

Today was the start of a new week and another tough track workout. There was a winter storm on its way and I had been hoping to get as much of the workout in before it hit as possible. Unfortunately, the storm hit Denver just as I was getting changed to head to the track! It's funny how some people hate adverse conditions, but I think that I have found over the years that I thrive in them. By the time I got to the track it was windy and snowing pretty heavily. With no glasses, or goggles, on my eyes were stinging from the snow and I knew it would be a tough workout. Between that and the snow starting to stick, and accumulate, on the track, I wasn't real sure how this workout was going to go.

The workout was to be:

4 x 1.5-miles at 5:50 mile-pace (8:45 goal intervals) 
w/400m jog rcvry (~3:00)
Conditions: ~28 degrees F, windy, driving snow
8:34 (mile at 5:41)
8:36 (mile at 5:42)
8:39 (mile at 5:43)
8:44 (mile at 5:48)
~8:39 avg (5:46mi avg)

As you can see, my pacing was terrible. While I did go faster than the intended pace, I am definitely not happy about it. One of the big lessons learned from my last go-round with marathon training was that PACE IS KING. Paces wouldn't be given and so often strove after if they were just suggestions. A training pace is what you're supposed to hit and if you're not hitting because you're going either too slow, or too fast you are not succeeding in the workout. I think way too many people (myself included) get caught up in the 'how fast' can I run question rather than the 'how consistent' can I be question in training. Because of this, I went away disappointed with today's workout. There are a lot of reasons why my pacing was off (bad traction on the snow, hard to read my watch, etc. etc.) but I think what I am learning is that in adverse conditions (extreme heat/cold, snow/rain or on hills) I will often work harder than necessary to achieve my target pace not realizing that I am actually surpassing it. I imagine this is probably a problem for a lot of runners too. Not sure what to do with that info yet, but it's definitely something to keep in mind the next time that you (or I) are training/racing in less than ideal conditions. 

Another thing that I don't often talk about in my blog is simply, my love for running. So often we (runners) get caught up in the numbers, paces, mileage, etc., etc., ... we're slogging along doing all of this training and don't realize that the root of why they're actually doing it, is because we love it. I am very guilty of this! But then, every once in awhile, you have that special run. Whether it's the weather, the terrain, the people that accompany you, or even the challenges that you had to overcome to get through it. It's one of those runs that reminds you that you are doing this for the love of the sport. The love of the feeling that it gives you. Sure, even for the the love of the effects that it has on your health.

Running around that track today in what (at least for an hour or so) felt like a blizzard, I remembered so many other similar runs that I've had in the past. Running in the blistering cold, in driving rain, hail, 100+ degree temperatures and through streets in countries where no one else even bothers to run. I run because of the feeling that it gives me. The strength that I feel from running fast, or running when most others won't. I love chasing my best performances and always striving to be a stronger, healthier, faster athlete. I run because it's who I am. Whether your fast or slow, I imagine that's the real reason why each of us puts on our shoes and gets out the door. 

If you haven't had a run like this lately, I hope that you do soon. I know they're rare, but wow, what a great experience! Happy training everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment