Monday, October 24, 2011

Down... But Not Out

Good News. My 'knee pain' is officially not actually knee pain. As I alluded to in my last post, my friend and doctor, Jason Glowney let me know on Friday that he thought it was referred pain from the VMO muscle. I wasn't sure that I believed it until yesterday. Yesterday's easy run finally felt a little bit better. Don't get me wrong the pain is definitely still present while running, but it is lessening...slightly. And that's a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned. I've been doing some trigger-point type stuff on my own at home as well as icing a lot. The entire VMO is extremely sore and tender to the touch, but besides when I'm running, or pushing on it, it doesn't hurt at all.
I went to see Jason again today and he really did a number on me. He started by doing A.R.T. directly to the muscle, and it was excruciating. I told him that it felt like he kept breaking my leg each time that he dug in and I bent my leg. I knew it was what needed to be done though so aside from a little yelling, I got through it without any random kicks to his face, or tears.
This morning, pre-doctors visit, I was able to survive my typical morning run loop of 3.75mi, and even did it in the realm of my normal time as well. Then this evening, despite the sore leg, I got out the door for another 5-miler at about 7:20 pace. While it's not ideal, as I missed my 3rd hard workout in the past 7 days, I can feel the leg improving and am just SO happy with the possibility of me recovering in time to save this race. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed at this point, but I did want to thank everyone that took the time to speak with me about the injury and give me their input. I've certainly got a great group of knowledgeable, fast friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment